Mini Chocolate Chip Scones
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 cups Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a large mixing bowl combine all dry ingredients.
- Cut in the cold butter until it resembles a coarse meal.
- Toss in the chips.
- Mix egg, buttermilk and vanilla together.
- Pour into bowl and mix until just moist.
- Drop batter in large tablespoons onto a slipat mat or parchment paper lined sheet pan and sprinkle the tops with a little bit of sugar to give them a crunchy top.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 12 min.
Now - just to keep it interesting I have a couple variations for you -
1. I just bought this Fiori di Sicilia flavoring from King Arthur - it is like a combination of vanilla and orange zest - very fruity and fun - so today I added just a few drops of this - a little goes a long way - along with the vanilla and it was lovely - just a bit orangy - if you don't have this maybe try a bit of orange zest to the batter.
2. Another good addition I've done in the past is minced crystalized ginger - I was going to do this today - but mine was sadly to hard - so I tossed it and moved on - but if you have some nice bits, just finely chop and add about 2 tablespoons to the batter.
3. And of course you could add some nuts! I always say nuts make things better : )
|Chocolate Chip Hazelnut Mini Cakes|
|Just love this! Made amazing French Toast!|